Evaluate Arguments & Claims – 6th Grade RI.6.8
⭐️These 12 printable and digital Lexile® certified passages aligned to RI.6.8 are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing 6th grade arguments and claims skills. Google slides version is perfect for Google Classroom integration and distance learning. Sixth graders learn to trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text and distinguish claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
⭐️Includes standards-based questions, anchor charts, and two skills-focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied across the CCSS sixth grade band.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching 6th grade reasons and evidence skills. Conforms with most state-specific standards.
⭐️This printable and digital resource is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides.
*This digital version saves paper and is perfect for distance learning, but still requires teachers to correct student responses.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 6th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for sixth through eighth grade is 925L to 1185L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – The color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages and question sets are standard-based and are perfect for comprehensive test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality images designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Emily Z. said “I love this resource! Really easy to introduce to students and they were very engaged in the topics that were included.”
★ Nicole S. said, “Students were able to print out the work and then highlight the necessary information. They then took a picture and shared their work with me.”
★ Emily T. said, “Amazing resource so many different levels and are high interest.”
1. Finding Arguments and Claims Journal Page/Anchor Chart
2. Evaluating Arguments and Claims Journal Page/Anchor Chart
3. Evaluating Arguments and Claims Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Healthy Conflict Resolution- 940L
- Honesty is the Best Policy- 1020L
- Are Video Games Actually Good?- 1020L
- Star Wars Versus Star Trek- 1060L
- The Dark Reality of Cell Phones- 1060L
- Why You Shouldn’t Kill Snakes- 1140L
- Why You Should Be Polite to Your Refrigerator- 1140L
- Gender and the Hollywood Pay Gap- 1150L
- Why a Law Is not a Magic Wand – 1160L
- Free College Tuition- 1160L
4. Evaluating Arguments and Claims Test Passages & Question Sets
- Longer School Days- 1070L
- Why Rotten Tomatoes Is Rotten- 1170L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.