Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade
⭐ Ice Cream Truck Mania is a math project based learning unit for 2nd grade based all on operating the ice cream supply, schedule, and transactions for an ice cream truck. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to keep track of their inventory, order new treats, manage the truck stop schedule, monitor money transactions, and analyze the daily profits of the truck. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task addresses the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to the operation of the ice cream truck:
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems.
- 2.OA.C.4 Use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in rectangular arrays with up to 5 rows and up to 5 columns; write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
- 2.NBT.A.2 Count within 1000; skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s.
- 2.NBT.A.4 Compare two three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits
- 2.NBT.B.5 Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes, using a.m. and p.m.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
- 2.MD.D.10 Draw a picture graph and a bar graph (with a single-unit scale) to represent a data set with up to four categories
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so it can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired as ice cream truck managers to explore the processes of inventory, ordering, scheduling, and revenue. Their job is to use data from sales to analyze the profits of the ice cream truck.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
This spring-themed project based learning math activity contains the following:
1. Directions for the teacher
2. Ice Cream Truck Mania Tasks
3. Ice Cream Supply Check
4. Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule
5. Counting Money
6. Hungry Customers Graphs and Word Problems
7. Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes
8. Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors
9. Challenge #3: Toppings Galore
12. Answer Key
Try the 3rd grade version, of this spring math PBL!