Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 5th Grade
⭐ Ice Cream Truck Mania is a project-based learning task that involves using 5th grade math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on running an ice cream truck, stock the ice cream truck with tasty treats, keep your ice cream truck running on-schedule, and serve delicious ice cream to the community. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck.
- 5.OA.A.1 Use parentheses, brackets, or braces in numerical expressions, and evaluate expressions with these symbols.
- 5.NBT.A.3.B Compare two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place.
- 5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 5.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors.
- 5.NF.B.4 Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
- 5.NF.B.6 Solve real world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers.
- 5.MD.A.1 Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system.
- 5.MB.B.2 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit.v
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to run their own ice cream truck to practice 5th grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Ice Cream Supply (Order of Operations, Word Problems)
- Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule (Time)
- Measuring Ice Cream (Mass, Comparing Decimals)
- Hungry Customers (Interpreting & Representing Data)
- Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors (Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Toppings Galore (Word Problems)
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th Grade version!