Nonfiction Context Clues Pirate Treasure Escape Room & Webscape™ – 2nd & 3rd Grade
⭐ This context clues escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students read texts and answer context clues focused questions as they navigate their way to the treasure by discovering the map in the sunken ship, sinking other pirates’ ships, finding the uncharted island, and locating the waterfall where the treasure lies. Students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use context clues skills. Students add their answers to the Secret Pirate Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret code and complete each challenge. Students earn items used to determine the location of the hidden treasure and earn commendation from Blackbeard. Printable and digital versions included!
⭐ This reading comprehension review escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Secret Pirate Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Secret Pirate Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing and reviewing reading comprehension skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Pirate Treasure Context Clues Reading Escape Room – 2nd & 3rd Grade
- Print and Digital Directions
- Blackbeard’s Letter
- Challenge #1: Use definition context clues to discover the map in the sunken ship
- Challenge #2: Determine synonyms & antonyms using context clues to sink the other pirates’ ship
- Challenge #3: Determine the meaning and purpose of words in a passage to find the uncharted island
- Challenge #4: Multi-paragraph article context clue practice to find the location of the waterfall where the treasure lies.
- Treasure Found Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th and 5th grade version, but with passages on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.