Main Idea Wizarding Escape Room & Webscape™ – 4th & 5th Grade
⭐ This 4th & 5th grade main idea skill focused digital escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students navigate their way through wizard school by completing four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use main idea and supporting details to answer questions. Students add their answers to Merlin’s Secret Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret code and complete each challenge. Students earn items used to defeat the evil sorcerer Alwanna and graduate from wizard school.
⭐This main idea focused escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. Merlin’s Secret Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Merlin’s Secret Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, magical items, and a wizarding storyline come together to engage students while developing and enforcing main idea skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each main idea focused question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Wizarding school backstory, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each short passage and question set was written to focus specifically on main idea. Students learn and practice both main idea and supporting details skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital versions require NO PREP. The printable version is low prep. Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go! The printable version has theoption to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Merlin’s Magical Wizarding School Escape Room
- Invitation letter to Merlin’s Magical Wizarding School
- Library to Store Special Items
- Challenge #1: Find the stated main idea to find the Spell Book.
- Challenge #2: Find the supporting details to discover the Magic Wand.
- Challenge #3: Find the implicit main idea to mix the Magic Potion.
- Challenge #4: Multi-paragraph main idea and details challenge to defeat the sorcerer Alwina.
- Certificate of Graduation
- Ooops Cards
- Merlin’s Main Idea Magic Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Merlin’s Secret Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is the same as the 2nd and 3rd grade version, but with passages on a 4th and 5th grade level.