Retelling to Summarizing Nonfiction Differentiated Bundle
This differentiated bundle includes printable and digital scaffolded units with certified Lexile® measured passages on 1st, 2nd-3rd, and 4th-5th grade levels. It contains 15 total passages (5 passages differentiated across 3 CCSS Reading Band levels – 1st, 2nd-3rd, 4th-5th).
⭐️ 5 Lexile certified passages and skill-focused question sets, organizers, visuals, and activities. Perfect for teaching 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders how to progress from recounting to retelling to summarizing fiction stories.
⭐️ Includes short response and multiple choice questions that build on retelling skills, anchor charts, and cut-and-paste sequence illustrations. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied across the CCSS first through fifth grade bands.
⭐️This packet includes ideas for differentiation and scaffolding, including how to progress from recounting to retelling, to summarizing.
This bundle is perfect for teachers who have a wide range of readers.
- 2nd grade and 3rd grade teachers with below, on, and above level readers
- 4th grade and 5th grade teachers with on and below level readers
- 1st Grade Teachers with gifted and advanced students
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 1st-5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for fourth and fifth grade is 190L to 1010L – for specific passage levels preview each resource).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – The color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages and question sets specifically target building core skills for summarizing, so this resource is perfect for comprehensive test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality images designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
- Teaching Notes – How to Teach Recounting, Retelling, and Summarizing
- Retelling and Summarizing Visuals
- Retelling or Summarizing Rope
- Graphic Organizer
- Recount or Summarize Nonfiction Stationery
- Original Passages with Comprehension Questions and Cut-and-Paste Activities
- Brazil – (280L, 520L, 790L)
- The Grand Canyon – (280L, 600L, 840L)
- Mammals of the Sea – (200L, 660L, 900L)
- Where are the Honeybees? – (310L, 670L, 830L)
- Jane Goodall – (360L, 740L, 880L)
*All Passages Differentiated Across All 3 CCSS Reading Band Levels (1st, 2nd-3rd, 4th-5th)
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.