History of Thanksgiving Reading Comprehension Passages Questions
The True History of Thanksgiving from Wampanoag Native Americans and Pilgrim Perspectives to present day traditions. Differentiated reading comprehension passage unit for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.
Dive deep into the true history of Thanksgiving with this comprehensive passage unit. Unveil the myths and inaccuracies previously perpetuated in schools through untold history and stories of the Wampanoag people and the pilgrims. Learn about the history before, during, and after colonization and how history led to our present day traditions of Thanksgiving including the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Turkey Pardon.
In this unit, students will read historically accurate and highly- engaging articles about history. They will learn through perspectives of multiple people, including a Wampanoag and Pilgrim child. Students will also learn how traditions evolved over time and how Thanksgiving is celebrated around the world in different countries and cultures.
This resource teaches history in an accurate way through multiple perspectives. We did the research so you can be sure to “get it right.
Includes three differentiated levels for each passage so you can meet your students’ needs. Each article includes multiple choice and short response questions, reading comprehension graphic organizers, and a critical thinking response.
- 30 Lexile Leveled Passages (10 topics): Tailored to captivate students from grades 2-5th grade, these passages are perfectly aligned with the 2nd-5th Grade Text Complexity Bands.
- Engaging Comprehension Activities: Each passage is paired with thought-provoking comprehension questions, graphic organizers, and a reading response activity to test knowledge and inspire deeper reflection.
- Passages cover a wide range of historical topics related to the Wampanoag people, pilgrims, and present-day Thanksgiving traditions, in hopes to clear up misconceptions and inaccuracies students may have.
- Beyond Thanksgiving: The Rich Legacy and Challenges of the Wampanoag People (890L, 700L, 410L)
- Tisquantum (990L, 770L, 420L)
- The Pilgrim’s Journey (860L, 670L, 410L)
- A Day in the Life of Mary, a Pilgrim Girl (880L, 690L, 430L)
- A Day in the Life of Wamsutta, a Wampanoag Boy (910L, 720L, 430L)
- A Day of Mourning: The Other Side of Thanksgiving (970L, 790L, 500L)
- The Wampanoag People Today (1000L, 710L, 470L)
- Thanksgiving Around the World (1010L, 780L, 490L)
- The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (1000L, 770L, 480L)
- The Turkey Pardon (1000L, 740L, 500L)
This unit is a resource for teachers seeking to present a balanced and insightful view of Thanksgiving. Perfect for classroom discussions, group projects, or independent studies.