Phonics & Spelling – 1st Grade
❀Grow❀ great spellers with effective, pattern based process that is supported by the Science of Reading. This comprehensive year long spelling and phonics unit is fun and effective. These spelling lists are based on phonics patterns to get your 1st grade students fully engaged in word study. Includes 29 scaffolded 1st grade spelling and phonics word lists for meaningful and differentiated instruction, word sorts, practice worksheets, and activities for the entire year.
❀Lists are sequentail and developed with the Science of Reading in Mind. Lists were revised and written by teachers with Orton Gillingham traning.
❀Includes decodable passages for each spelling pattern so students can apply the pattern to text.
✏️Effective Learning Method – Students utilize phonics and pattern based spelling techniques to go beyond rote memorization. Patterns are sequental and develpmentally appropriate based on research based approaches.
✏️Diagnostic Test – Initial diagnostic test helps teachers assess current skills and group their students for groups accordingly.
✏️Differentiation – This resource includes instructions for a strategy to implement differentiated word study groups.
✏️Scaffolded Word Lists – 29 different word lists are scaffolded based on a phonics continuum of first grade skills.
✏️Practice Worksheets – For each list, there are meaningful practice worksheets designed specifically to make routines easy to implement.
✏️Comprehensive – Provides an entire year of spelling instruction and supporting resources. Can be used as primary spelling unit or as supporting resource.
1. Phonics Pre and Post Test Documents (7 pgs.)
2. Spelling Sort Cards, Spelling Sort, and Vocabulary Practice sheets for each of the following patterns (3 pages per unit)
- CVC (Spelling Lists 1-5)
- CVC Rhyming Words (Spelling Lists 6-7)
- Endings -er (List 8)
- Endings -ing & -ed (List 9)
- Endings -s & -es (List 10)
- Consonant Diagraphs ch-, ph-, sh- (List 11)
- Consonant Diagraphs th-, wh-, ch- (List 12)
- Ending Consonant Diagraphs –th, -sh, -ch, -dge (List 13)
- Ending Consonant Diagraphs –tch, -ng, -ck (List 14)
- Blends br-, cr-, dr- (List 15)
- Blends fr-, gr-, pr- (List 16)
- Blends br-, cr-, ar-, fr-, gr- (List 17)
- Blends pr-, tr-, gr-, cr-, br- (List 18)
- Blends bl-, cl-, fl- (List 19)
- Blends gl-, pl-, sl-, bl- (List 20)
- Blends gl-, cl-, fl-, pl-, bl (List 21)
- Blends sc-, sk-, sl- (List 22)
- Blends sm-, sn-, sp (List 23)
- Blends sc-, sn-, st-, sm-, sn-, sp- (List 24)
- Blends st-, sw- (List 25)
- Blends scr-, spr-, spl- (List 26)
- Double Consonants & Closed Syllables (List 27)
- Ending Blends –nd, -ld, -st, -nk (List 28)
- Ending Blends –ft, -nt, -sk (List 29)
- Magic E (Lists 30-31)
- Hard C/ Soft C (List 32)
- Hard G/ Soft G (List 33)
- Qu/ X (List 34)
3. Spelling Homework Choice Sheet
4. Spelling Practice Sheets (8 choices)
*If you have students who are above level, I recommend you purchase the 1st and 2nd Grade Bundle to further differentiate.
★ Amy J. said, “This is absolutely perfect for my students!”
★ Melzina L. said, “Lots of materials for the price.”
★ Janice K. said, “Well done. Thank you!”