Secret Garden Poetry Escape Room 2nd & 3rd Grade
⭐ This 2nd and 3rd grade poetry escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students work their way through the poetry garden by earning unique bookmarks. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use standards-based poetry analysis skills. Students will work on identifying and evaluating words and phrases in poetry as well as describing the meaning behind poems. Students add their answers to the Secret Garden Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students earn various poet inspired bookmarks to ultimately earn a bookmark collector certificate.
⭐ This poetry escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Secret Garden Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Secret Garden Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing and reviewing reading comprehension skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Poetry secret garden backstory, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each poem or excerpt and question set was chosen and written to focus on key poetry skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep.: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Secret Garden Poetry Escape Room – 2nd & 3rd Grade
- Print and Digital Directions
- Read the secret garden letter
- Challenge #1: Identify words and phrases in poetry to collect the Dickinson bookmark
- Challenge #2: Evaluate words and phrases in poetry to collect the Hughes bookmark
- Challenge #3: Describe the meaning behind poetry to collect the Poe bookmark
- Challenge #4: Answer questions related to the word, phrases, and meaning behind poetry to collect the Angelou bookmark
- Bookmark Collector Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th and 5th grade version, but with poems and questions on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.