1st Grade Haunted House Halloween Reading Escape Room & Digital Webscape
⚿ Get Ready for a Spook-tacular Halloween Escape Room Adventure! Does the thought of trying to make reading comprehension practice engaging give you chills? This Halloween Haunted House Reading Comprehension Escape Room is a fun and engaging Halloween activity that helps your primary students (1st grade or emerging 2nd graders) to practice important reading skills.
☠ Students get to be the heroes of their very own haunted house story. The house on the hill has a mind of its own. Students follow the story as they solve reading comprehension questions, decipher the codes, and scare off the trick-or-treaters.
In this escape room, students are asked to complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to read passages and answer multiple-choice questions. Each answer will unlock a portion of the secret code that is needed to complete the challenges. Scare away the witch, the jack-o’-lantern, and the skeleton, then reward the trick-or-treaters with candy – or keep it all for yourself!
Webscape version of this resource include audio for all passages and questions to help emerging readers.
This reading comprehension review escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self-directed, self-correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Magic Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Magic Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a Halloween back story come together to engage students while developing and reviewing reading comprehension skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️ Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️ Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️ No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Reading Comprehension “Haunted House” Escape Room – 1st Grade
- Haunted House Story
- Reading Comprehension Passages and Question Sets
- Integrated Storytelling Videos
- Challenge Complete Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser-Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th and 5th grade version but with passages and questions on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.