Add & Subtract Fractions – Candy Factory 5th Grade Escape Room
⭐ This 5th grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience and themed perfectly for a class of candy enthusiasts! Students practice adding and subtraction fractions and mixed numbers and solving word problems using fractions and mixed numbers as they navigate their way through a candy factory. Students complete challenges to help create delicious creations and become candy connoisseurs. To earn the key to the factory, students complete four unique math standards-based challenges. The challenges require students to practice adding and subtraction fractions and mixed numbers and solving word problems using fractions and mixed numbers. Students add their answers to the Factory Decoding Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students travel to various floors of their factory while making these delicious treats and mastering key mathematics skills! This resource is a great engaging and low prep activity with printable and digital versions included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Factory Decoding Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Factory Decoding Tool and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a candy factory storyline come together to engage students while developing and enforcing several standards-based mathematics skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Candy Factory themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of adding and subtraction fractions and mixed numbers and solving word problems using fractions and mixed numbers. Aligned to 5.NF.A.1 and 5.NF.A.2.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
5th Grade Add & Subtract Fractions “Candy Factory” Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Candy Man Invitation Letter
- Challenge #1: Add fractions with unlike denominators to make the marshmallows.
- Challenge #2: Subtract fractions with unlike denominators to make the cotton candy.
- Challenge #3: Analyze errors in fraction problems to make the fun-size chocolate.
- Challenge #4: Solve the fraction word problems to make the sprinkles.
- Keys to the Factory Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th grade version but with problems and skills at a 5th grade level.