Author’s Purpose & Point of View Escape Room & Webscape™ – 2nd & 3rd Grade
⭐ This 2nd and 3rd grade Under the Sea escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students read short passages and answer author’s purpose skill-based questions as they work their way to guide a submarine back to its home ship after getting stuck at the bottom of the ocean. Students locate various landmarks under the sea to guide the submarine back to the surface. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use standards-based author’s purpose skills. Students use Merlin’s Secret Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge.
⭐This author’s purpose and point of view focused escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self-directed, self-correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. Merlin’s Secret Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Merlin’s Secret Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and an “under the sea” storyline come together to engage students while developing and using author’s purpose skills.
The Webscape and Google Slides versions are self-grading; however, these versions are created to require critical thinking. Students are NOT told which answers are incorrect to prevent guessing and encourage students to think critically about the clues and their responses.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Google Slides/Forms and print versions make this resource perfect for classroom and distance learning. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each passage and question set in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Under the Sea backstory, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to improve determining author’s purpose skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital versions require NO PREP. The printable version is low prep. Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go! The printable version has theoption to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Author’s Purpose Under the Sea Escape Room – 2nd & 3rd Grade
- Submarine Rescue Letter.
- Challenge #1: Use the topic and key details in each passage to determine the author’s purpose and find the sunken ship.
- Challenge #2: Use the topic and key details in each passage to determine the author’s purpose and find the lost city of Atlantis.
- Challenge #3: Use the topic and key details in each passage to determine the author’s purpose and find the beautiful coral reef.
- Challenge #4: Use the topic and key details in each passage to determine the author’s purpose and find the iceberg.
- Mission Complete Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser-Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th and 5th grade version, but with passages and questions on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.