Compare & Contrast Fiction Giant Land Escape Room & Webscape™ – 4th Grade
⭐ This 4th grade “compare and contrast” escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students read short passages and answer compare and contrast skill based questions as they work their way through Giant Land to gather Jack’s flock of sheep back to the village. Students must help Jack find the cave that leads to Giant Land, help Jack find Giant Land, then helps Jack find his flock of sheep, and finally help Jack block the cave to Giant Land to succeed in this activity. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to compare and contrast the topics, events, and themes in passages. Students add their answers to the Shepherd’s Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge.
⭐ This reading comprehension escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Shepherd’s Decoder Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing and reviewing reading comprehension skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
- Gian Land Mission Letter
- Challenge #1: Compare and contrast the topics, events, and themes in the passages to find the cave to Giant Land
- Challenge #2: Compare and contrast the topics, events, and themes in the passages to find Giant Land
- Challenge #3: Compare and contrast the topics, events, and themes in the passages to find Jack’s flock of sheep
- Challenge #4: Compare and contrast the topics, events, and themes in the passages to block the cave to Giant Land.
- Mission Complete Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser-Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool