Point of View in Fiction Cartoon Escape Room & Webscape™ – 4th & 5th Grade
⭐ This 4th and 5th grade point of view escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students read short passages and answer point of view skill based questions as they work their way through to escape the Toon-Universe where they have been trapped. Students collect various lab equipment to help them escape the cartoon. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use standards-based point of view skills. Students will work on identifying the point of view, identifying the differences in point of view, describing the influence of point of view, and reading through a multi-paragraph passage to use point of view skills. Students add their answers to the Secret Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge.
⭐ This reading comprehension review escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Secret Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Secret Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing and reviewing reading comprehension skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Escape the Cartoon Point of View Escape Room – 4th & 5th Grade
- Read the letter from Toon Labs.
- Challenge #1: Identify the point of view of the narrator or characters in the story to collect the lightbulb.
- Challenge #2: Identify the differences in point of view throughout the story to collect the DNA strand.
- Challenge #3: Describe how the narrator or a character’s point of view influences events in the story to collect the goggles.
- Challenge #4: Use your knowledge of point of view to collect the magnifying glass.
- Toon Master Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 2nd & 3rd grade version, but with passages and questions on a 4th and 5th grade level.