Making Inferences Safari Escape Room & Webscape™ for 4th & 5th Grade
⭐ This 4th and 5th grade making inferences escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students navigate their way through a jungle safari by taking pictures of an animal stampede, elephants, crocodiles, and orangutans as they complete four reading comprehension challenges. Each challenge requires students to use inferencing in fiction and nonfiction skills. Students add their answers to the Secret Jungle Safari Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students earn items used to navigate the mission and earn their official Safari Photographer certificate.
⭐ This reading comprehension review escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Leprechaun Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and jungle safari storyline come together to engage students while practicing making inferences in fiction and nonfiction.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for classroom and distance learning. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each passage and question set in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Jungle safari, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each short passage and question set was written to focus on key text feature skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. Printable version is low prep.: Just print the pages, place in folders, and go. Printable version has option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Jungle Safari Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Safari expedition letter
- Challenge #1: Use inferences to collect your snapshot of an animal stampede. (Fiction)
- Challenge #2: Use inferences to collect your snapshot of an elephant. (Nonfiction)
- Challenge #3: Use inferences to collect your snapshot of a crocodile. (Fiction)
- Challenge #4: Use inferences to collect your snapshot of an orangutan. (Nonfiction)
- Safari Photographer Certificate
- Ooops Cards for further challenges and differentiation (printable)
- Recording Brochure (printable)
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser-Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 2nd and 3rd grade version, but with passages on a 4th and 5th grade level.