Sherlock Holmes Math Word Problem Escape Room – 3rd Grade
⭐ This 3rd grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience and themed perfectly for a class of super sleuth enthusiasts! Students navigate their way through “The Case of the Missing Stamp Collector” by completing challenges to uncover the crime. To solve the mystery, students complete four unique math standards-based challenges. The challenges require students to practice multiplication, division, multi-step, and measurement word problems. Students add their answers to the Detective Decoding Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students earn items used for each step on their way to solving this crime. This resource is a great engaging and low prep activity with printable and digital versions included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Detective Decoding Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Detective Decoding Tool and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing measurement line plots skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. These videos enhance the escape rooms but are not required in order for them to complete the challenges.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Mystery themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of multiplication, division, multi-step, and measurement word problems.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep. Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
3rd Grade Sherlock Holmes Math Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Detective Mission Letter
- Challenge #1: Multiplication word problems to find the crooked picture frame
- Challenge #2: Division word problems to find the mop
- Challenge #3: Multi-step word problems to find the key
- Challenge #4: Measurement word problems to find the letter from the rival stamp collector
- Sherlock Holmes Solved Case Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link