Nonfiction Text Structure Sports Escape Room & Webscape™ – 2nd & 3rd Grade
⭐ This 2nd and 3rd grade text structure escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students read short passages and answer text structure skill based questions as they work their way through a series of high-stakes games. Students collect various medals until they achieve certified gold. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use standards-based text structure skills. Students will work on determining text structure, using text structure to comprehend passages, finding connecting words and ideas, and reading through a multi-paragraph passage to use text structure skills. Students add their answers to the Score Board Sports Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students collect various medals of achievement to ultimately earn the coveted gold medal.
⭐ This reading comprehension escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Score Board Sports Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Score Board Sports Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a competitive sports storyline come together to engage students while developing and using text structure skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Sports backstory, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to improve identifying and using text structure.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Team Sports Text Structure Escape Room – 2nd & 3rd Grade
- Read the invitation to participate in the games
- Challenge #1: Determine the text structure and get your runner-up ribbon.
- Challenge #2: Use the text structure of a passage to snag your bronze medal.
- Challenge #3: Find the connecting words and ideas to receive your silver medal.
- Challenge #4: Practice text structure in a multi-paragraph article to get your gold.
- Certified Gold Medal Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th grade version, but with passages and questions on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.