Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 2nd Grade
⭐ Patriotic Parade is a 2nd grade project based learning unit based all around calculating length, arrays, telling time, bar graphs & pictographs, and more. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to plan a perfect patriotic parade using various measurement tools and data displays. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS Measurement & Data math standards to solve problems related to patriotic parade:
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems.
- 2.OA.C.4 Use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in rectangular arrays with up to 5 rows and up to 5 columns; write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
- 2.NBT.A.2 Count within 1000; skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s.
- 2.NBT.A.4 Compare two three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits.
- 2.NBT.B.7 Add and subtract within 100
- 2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools.
- 2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
- 2.MD.D.10 Draw a picture graph and a bar graph (with a single-unit scale) to represent a data set
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired to plan a festive, patriotic parade. Their job is to organize the groups marching in the parade, set the course of the parade, analyze parade attendance, plan fun patriotic festivities like a bake sale, dunk tank, and fireworks, and assure everything is timed to perfection.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions and Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Parade Route (Calculating Length)
- Parade Arrays (Arrays)
- Keeping Time (Telling Time)
- Parade Volunteers (Bar Graphs and Pictographs)
- Patriotic Festivities (Word Problems, Money, Measurement, Place Value)
- Challenge 1: Marching Band (Plotting on a Number Line)
- Challenge 2: Parade Float (Polygons, Partitioning Shapes)
- Evaluation & Rubric
- Answer Key