Be My Valentine Geometry Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade
⭐Be my Valentine geometry is a project-based learning task that involves using 3rd grade math standards to celebrate Valentine’s Day. In this project, your students will make valentines to give to their classmates, friends, and family. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to celebrating Valentine’s Day.
- 3.MD.C.5 Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
- 3.MD.C.6 Measure area by counting unit squares.
- 3.MD.C.7 Relate area to the operations of multiplication and addition.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons, including finding the perimeter given the side lengths, finding an unknown side length, and exhibiting rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas or with the same area and different perimeters.
- 3.G.A.1 Understand that shapes in different categories may share attributes and that the shared attributes can define a larger category. Recognize rhombuses, rectangles, and squares as examples of quadrilaterals, and draw examples of quadrilaterals that do not belong to any of these subcategories.
- 3.G.A.2 Partition shapes into parts with equal areas. Express the area of each part as a unit fraction of the whole.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent so that they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Classroom Valentines (Identifying Polygons, Perimeter)
- Sweet Treats (Partitioning Shapes, Area)
- Quadrilateral Cards (Quadrilaterals, Area & Perimeter)
- Valentine’s Day Chocolates (Area & Perimeter, Classifying Polygons)
- Challenge #1: Word Problems
- Challenge #2: Area of Irregular Shapes
- Self-Reflection & Evaluation
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th grade version!
Trip to the Aquarium Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade Math
Thanksgiving Feast Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade Math
Budget & Money Supermarket Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade
3rd Grade Math Project Based Learning – Back to School
Algebraic Thinking “Soccer” Project Based Activity – 3rd Grade
Pizza Fractions Project Based Learning Activity – 3rd Grade
Measure Twice, Cut Once: Quilting Project Learning – 3rd Grade
3rd Grade Perfect Party Planners Project Based Learning
3rd Grade Build a Zoo Project Based Learning
3rd Grade Cupcakes Galore! Project Learning
There are no reviews yet.