Cupcakes Galore Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade Math
⭐ Cupcakes Galore is a project based learning unit for 2nd grade, based all around preparing cupcakes for a bake sale to raise money for new playground equipment. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to plan and bake various cupcake recipes using the ingredients they have. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using Measurement & Data math standards to solve problems related to baking. This version is suggested for use in grade 2 and differentiation in grades 3 to 5. Students work with unit fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and placing fractions on a number line.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve word problems.
- 2.OA.B.2 Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental images.
- 2.OA.C.4 Use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in arrays with up to 5 rows and 5 columns, write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
- 2.NBT.A.1 Understand that the 3 digits in a 3-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones.
- 2.NBT.A.3 Read and write numbers to 1000 using base-ten numerals, names, and expanded form.
- 2.NBT.B.5 Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.NBT.B.6 Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
- 2.NBT.B.7 Add and subtract within 1000, using concrete models or drawings and strategies.
- 2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes, using am and pm.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for a combination of classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are required to plan their baking and make reasonable decisions while practicing key measurement and data skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
- Printable Units – Level 1
- Google Slide Unit – Level 1
- Teacher Directions
- Recipe Cards
- Project Pages
- Challenge Activities 1-3
- Reflection Writing Prompt
- Grading Rubric
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th (Level 2) and 5th (Level 3) Grade versions!
There are no reviews yet.