Valentine’s Day Bakery Truck PBL – 1st – 2nd Grade
⭐Valentine’s Day bakery Truck is a project-based learning task that involves using 1st & 2nd grade math standards as they build their own bakery truck in time for Valentine’s Day. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to building a bakery truck in time for Valentine’s Day.
- 1.G.A.2 Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
- 1.G.A.3 Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares. Describe the shares using the words halves, fourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half of, fourth of, and a quarter of. Describe the whole as two of or four of the shares. Understand these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.
- 2.G.A.2 Partition a rectangle into rows and columns of same-size squares and count to find the total number of them.
- 2.G.A.3 Partition circles and rectangles into two, three, or four equal shares. Describe the shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc., and describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, and four fourths. Recognize that equal shares of identical wholes need not have the same shape.
- 2.MD.D.10 Draw a picture graph and a bar graph (with a single-unit scale) to represent a data set with up to four categories. Solve simple put-together, take-apart, and compare problems using information presented in a bar graph.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent so that they can be used for a combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Background Information (Read About Bakeries, Bakers, Food Trucks)
- Shapes (Composing & Naming Shapes)
- Sharing Baked Goods (Partitioning Shapes)
- Design Your Bakery Truck
- Special Menu Item (Descriptive Writing, Adjectives)
- Bar Graphs (Practice, Real Application)
- Self-Reflection & Evaluation
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Other Related Products:
Thanksgiving Feast Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade Math
2nd Grade Math Project Based Learning – Back to School
2nd Grade Build a Zoo Math Project Based Learning
Supermarket Spree (Budget, Money) Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Measure Twice, Cut Once: Quilting Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade
There are no reviews yet.