Holiday Helping Hands Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade Math
⭐Holiday Helping Hands is a project based learning task that involves using 2nd grade math standards as they help different families prepare for their special winter holidays. In this project, your students will meet five families who celebrate different winter holidays. They all need help to prepare to celebrate. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing for different special winter holidays.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step problems.
- 2.OA.B.2 Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental images.
- 2.NBT.A.2 Understand that the 3 digits of a 3-digit number represent amounts of 100s, 10s, and 1s. Count within 1000, skip-count by 5’s, 10s and 100s.
- 2.NBT.B.5 Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.NBT.B.6 Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
- 2.NBT.B.7 Add and subtract within 1000 using concrete models, drawings, and strategies; relate the strategy to a written method. Understand to add or subtract hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, and ones and ones, and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or ones.
- 2.NBT.B.8 Mentally add or subtract 10 or 100 to/from a given number from 100-900.
- 2.MD.A.3 Estimate lengths using inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
- 2.MD.B.5 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve word problems involving lengths that are given in the same units.
- 2.MD.B.6 Represent whole numbers as lengths from zero on a number line diagram.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies using symbols correctly.
- 2.GA.3 Partition circles/rectangles into 2, 3, and 4 equal shares; describe shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc. Recognize that equal shares do not need to have the same shape.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (directions and standards)
- Let’s Get Ready for the Holidays (student tasks)
- Hanukkah (information card)
- Latkes (addition/subtraction, measurement, time, money)
- Christmas (information card)
- The Tree (addition/subtraction, length, money, word problems)
- Caroling (time, addition/subtraction)
- Las Posadas (information card)
- Churros (addition/subtraction, measurement, time, word problems)
- The Procession (distance, elapsed time, word problems)
- Kwanzaa (information card)
- Crafting (addition/subtraction, patterns, word problems)
- Candles (addition/subtraction, word problems)
- Drumming (addition/subtraction, patterns, word problems)
- Lunar New Year (information card)
- Zodiac Calendar (time, addition/subtraction, word problems)
- Dumplings (addition/subtraction, measurement, word problems)
- New Year’s Day Parade (word problems)
- Challenges (measurement, partitioning shapes)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 3rd Grade version!
Other Related Products:
Thanksgiving Feast Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade Math
2nd Grade Math Project Based Learning – Back to School
2nd Grade Build a Zoo Math Project Based Learning
Supermarket Spree (Budget, Money) Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Measure Twice, Cut Once: Quilting Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Patriotic Parade Project Learning – 2nd Grade
Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade
There are no reviews yet.