Holiday Helping Hands Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade Math
⭐Holiday Helping Hands is a project-based learning task that involves using 3rd grade math standards as they help different families prepare for their special winter holidays. In this project, your students will meet five families who celebrate different winter holidays. They all need help to prepare to celebrate. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in any classroom. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing for different special winter holidays.
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.2 Interpret whole number quotients of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities.
- 3.OA.B.5 Apply properties of operations as strategies to multiply and divide.
- 3.OA.C.7 Fluently multiply and divide within 100.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve two-step word problems using the four operations.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on properties of operations.
- 3.NBT.A.3 Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10-90.
- 3.NF.A.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.A.2 Measure and estimate liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units of grams, kilograms, and liters.
- 3.MD.C.5 Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
- 3.MD.C.7 Relate area to the operations of multiplication and addition.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeter.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- For the Teacher (standards and directions)
- Let’s Get Ready for the Holidays (student tasks)
- Hanukkah (information card)
- Latkes (operations, measurement, time, and money)
- Christmas (information card)
- The Tree (length, money)
- Caroling (multiplication, time)
- Las Posadas (information card)
- Churros (multiplication/division, operations, measurement, time)
- The Procession (distance, elapsed time)
- Kwanzaa (information card)
- Crafting (multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Candles (multiplication, word problems)
- Drumming (addition, multiplication, patterns, word problems)
- Lunar New Year (information card)
- Zodiac Calendar (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Dumplings (measurement, fractions, word problems)
- New Year’s Day Parade (time, multiplication, word problems)
- Challenges (area/perimeter, rounding, measurement)
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th grade version!