Ice Cream Truck Mania: 3rd Grade Math Project Based Learning
⭐ Ice Cream Truck Mania is a 3rd grade math project based learning unit based all around operating the ice cream supply, schedule, and transactions for an ice cream truck. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to keep track of their inventory, order new treats, manage the truck stop schedule, monitor money transactions, and analyze the daily profits of the truck. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task addresses the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to the operation of the ice cream truck:
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers
- 3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve two-step word problems using the four operations 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000
- 3.NBT.A.3 Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10-90
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes
- 3.MD.A.2 Measure and estimate liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories
- 3.MD.B.4 Generate measurement data by measuring lengths using rulers marked with halves and fourths of an inch
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain the equivalence of fractions in special cases and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so it can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired as a an ice cream truck manager to explore the processes of inventory, ordering, scheduling, and revenue. Their job is to use data from sales to analyze the profits of the ice cream truck.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities means that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
This spring themed project based learning math activity contains the following:
1. Directions for the teacher
2. Ice Cream Truck Mania Tasks
3. Ice Cream Supply Check
4. Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule
5. Measuring Ice Cream
6. Hungry Customers Graphs and Word Problems
7. Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes
8. Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors
9. Challenge #3: Toppings Galore
12. Answer Key
Try the 2nd grade version of this spring math PBL!