Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 4th Grade
Churn up 4th grade math skills with our Ice Cream Truck Project-Based Learning! This print-and-go PBL is designed to engage and challenge fourth graders. Students will use their math skills to run their very own ice cream truck business.
You have been hired to run an ice cream truck! It is your job to stock the ice cream truck with tasty treats, keep track of the money you earned, and serve delicious ice cream to the community in a timely manner!
- Solve word problems using all four operations to determine how much ice cream they need to stock up on
- Use time to create a schedule for their truck stops
- Solve measurement word problems involving mass
- Compare ice cream cone masses with fractions
- Use scaled pictographs and bar graphs to answer questions about their truck stops
With this activity, students will develop essential math skills like problem-solving, all four operations, time, measurement, fractions, and graphing, all while having fun and satisfying their sweet tooth. Whether you’re a teacher looking for an engaging math activity for your classroom or a parent looking for a fun way to support your child’s math learning at home, our Ice Cream Truck Project-Based Learning resource will have your students solving realistic math problems in an engaging way.
⭐Students evaluate their work with a self-evaluation rubric and response.
⭐ Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This 4th grade PBL incorporates the following math standards:
- 4.OA.C.5 Generate a number or shape pattern that follows a given rule.
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and have whole-number answers using the four operations.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors.
- 4.NFA.2 Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators.
- 4.MD.A.1 Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units. Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money.
- 4.MD.B.4 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit.
“Exactly what I was looking for! A wonderful resource.” – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
✏️ Low Prep – Print-and-go format makes this resource quick to prep. and use. You do not need to spend money on extra supplies or hours of time prepping for this PBL!
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for any classroom. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination printable and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to run their own ice cream truck to practice 4th grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
✏️ Homeschool or Classroom Friendly – Students can work collaborativly or independetly on this project at their pace.
This spring-theme project based learning activity contains the following:
- Teacher Directions & Standards Summary
- Student Directions
- Ice Cream Supply (Patterns, Word Problems)
- Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule (Time)
- Measuring Ice Cream (Mass, Comparing Fractions)
- Hungry Customers (Interpreting & Representing Data)
- Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors (Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Toppings Galore (Word Problems)
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Try the 5th Grade version of this spring math PBL!
4th Grade Math Project Based Learning – Back to School
Supermarket Spree (Budget, Money) Project Learning – 4th Grade
Algebraic Thinking “Soccer” Project Based Activity – 4th Grade
Pizza Fractions Project Based Learning Activity – 4th Grade
Measure Twice, Cut Once: Quilting Project Learning – 4th Grade
4th Grade Build a Zoo Project Based Learning
Design a Bedroom Math Project Based Learning – 4th Grade
Cupcakes Galore! Project Learning – 4th Grade
There are no reviews yet.