Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 4th Grade
⭐ Ice Cream Truck Mania is a project-based learning task that involves using 4th grade math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on running an ice cream truck, stock the ice cream truck with tasty treats, keep your ice cream truck running on schedule, and serve delicious ice cream to the community. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck.
- 4.OA.C.5 Generate a number or shape pattern that follows a given rule.
- 4.OA.A.3 Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and have whole-number answers using the four operations.
- 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 4.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients and remainders with up to four-digit dividends and one-digit divisors.
- 4.NFA.2 Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators.
- 4.MD.A.1 Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units. Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit.
- 4.MD.A.2 Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money.
- 4.MD.B.4 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to run their own ice cream truck to practice 4th grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
This spring project based learning activity contains the following:
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Ice Cream Supply (Patterns, Word Problems)
- Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule (Time)
- Measuring Ice Cream (Mass, Comparing Fractions)
- Hungry Customers (Interpreting & Representing Data)
- Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors (Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Toppings Galore (Word Problems)
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Try the 5th Grade version of this spring math PBL!