Thanksgiving Feast Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade Math
⭐THANKSGIVING FEAST is a project-based learning task that involves using 3rd grade math standards to plan for a Thanksgiving feast. Your students will be in charge of planning, preparing, and serving a magnificent and delicious Thanksgiving feast. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Students should determine the ingredients and baking time for dinner rolls, calculate the masses of all the ingredients to make the side dishes, bake and divide five types of pie into equal parts and compare the sizes of the different pieces of pie, use geometry, area, and perimeter to set the tables for the feast and more! Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing a Thanksgiving feast.
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.2 Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.3 Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, & measurement quantities.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add and subtract within 1000.
- 3.NF.A.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts.
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain the equivalence of fractions in special cases and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.A.2 Measure and estimate liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units. Add, subtract, multiply, or divide to solve one-step word problems involving masses or volumes that are given in the same units.
- 3.MD.C.7 Relate area to the operations of multiplication and addition.
- 3.G.A.2 Partition shapes into parts with equal areas. Express the area of each part as a unit fraction of the whole.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Baking Rolls (Multiplication, Arrays)
- On the Side (Rounding, Addition & Subtraction)
- Turkey Time (Elapsed Time)
- Pies Galore (Fractions)
- Setting the Table (Geometry, Area & Perimeter)
- Challenge #1: Feast Nutrition
- Challenge #2: Corn on the Cob
- Challenge #3: Word Problems
- Self-Reflection & Evaluation
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th Grade version!