Thanksgiving Feast Project Based Learning – 5th Grade Math
⭐THANKSGIVING FEAST is a project-based learning task that involves using 5th grade math standards to plan for a Thanksgiving feast. Your students will be in charge of planning, preparing, and serving a magnificent and delicious Thanksgiving feast. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for any classroom. Students should determine the ingredients and baking time for dinner rolls, calculate the masses of all the ingredients to make the side dishes, bake and divide five types of pie into equal parts and compare the sizes of the different pieces of pie, use geometry, area, and perimeter to set the tables for the feast and more! Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to preparing a Thanksgiving feast.
- 5.NBT.A.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
- 5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 5.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors.
- 5.NBT.B.7 Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to hundredths.
- 5.NF.A.2 Solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators.
- 5.NF.B.4 Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
- 5.NF.B.7 Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.
- 5.MD.A.1 Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real world problems.
- 5.MD.C.5 Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition and solve real world and mathematical problems involving volume.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Baking Rolls (Multiplication, Multiplicative Comparisons)
- On the Side (Rounding, Addition, & Subtraction)
- Turkey Time (Elapsed Time)
- Pies Galore (Fractions, Decimals)
- Setting the Table (Geometry, Measurements)
- Challenge #1: Feast Nutrition
- Challenge #2: Mashed Potatoes
- Challenge #3: Word Problems
- Self-Reflection & Evaluation
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 1st Grade version!