Virtual Field Trip to Highway 61 for Blues Music
⭐️Let’s all take a field trip! In this Virtual Field Trip, students take a trip along the Blues Highway for a cross-curricular learning experience! Students will learn about the history of the blues by exploring the people and the places behind the music. This virtual field trip in Google Slides and Seesaw contains embedded videos, images, reading passages, exercises, writing activities, and more.
⭐️This resource integrates a variety of social studies and reading skills. Students also complete reading and writing assignments along with watching videos and completing thought-provoking exercises. Incorporates key reading comprehension, writing, multimedia, social studies, and other skills.
*Please note: This resource includes YouTube videos, so ensure you and your students have access to YouTube before purchasing. Although great care has been taken to ensure all content is appropriate for the stated grade levels, each classroom is unique and it is recommended that teachers review all content prior to use. This resource uses links to third party content that may be changed or removed by the content owner. Links are reviewed regularly; however, if you find a broken link, please let me know so I can update the resource accordingly.
✏️Google Slides & Seesaw Formats – These interactive formats are perfect for classroom and distance learning. Slides are interactive and can be used as a fun and engaging exercise within the classroom or remotely.
✏️Engaging Interactive Maps & Virtual Video Tours – Interactive maps & virtual video tours take students inside the action.
✏️Reading Comprehension – Integrates key reading skills like compare & contrast, multimedia, multiple sources, and more.
✏️Writing & Social Studies – This virtual field trip helps students understand more about the world around them and uses writing prompts to explore their reactions and ideas.
- Destination Map & Suitcase
- Let’s Explore: What are the blues?
- Blues Style: Elements of the Blues
- Activity: Blues Lyrics Patterns
- Let’s Explore: Highway 61
- Artist Spotlight: Robert Johnson
- Let’s Explore: The Mississippi Delta
- Blues Style: Delta Blues
- Let’s Explore: Memphis, TN
- Artist Spotlight: W.C. Handy
- Let’s Explore: New Orleans, LA
- Let’s Explore: St. Louis, MO
- Let’s Explore: Chicago, IL
- Artist Spotlight: Muddy Waters
- Activity: Write Your Own Blues
- Artist Spotlight: B.B. King
- Activity: Compare & Contrast
*Answer Key Included
Take a closer look at what this virtual field trip looks like in this video preview.
This resource is suitable for the following grade levels:
- 2nd & 3rd Grade: With teacher modeling, whole class, or small groups.
- 4th & 5th Grade: Independent for on-level students.
Time to Complete: