Science Differentiated Passages: Renewable and Non-renewable Energy – 4-ESS3-1
⭐️These science differentiated passages focus on obtaining and combining information to describe that energy and fuels are derived from natural resources and thattheir uses affect the environment.
⭐️This unit is perfect for 4th grade. It was created to align with 4-ESS3-1 but can be used in any classroom to teach students about renewable and non-renewable energy.
⭐️Integrates key reading skills, with a focus on drawing conclusions and making inferences. Incorporates key vocabulary, text features, graphic organizers, and open-ended questions.
⭐️Other Standards To Address in Questions and Images:
- W.4.7 – Conduct short research projects that build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.
- W.4.8 – Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print and digital sources; take notes and categorize information, and provide a list of sources.
- W.4.9 – Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- 4.OA.A.1 – Interpret a multiplication equation as a comparison, e.g., interpret 35 = 5 x 7 as a statement that 35 is 5 times as many as 7 and 7 times as many as 5. Represent verbal statements of multiplicative comparisons as multiplication equations.
- MP.2 – Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- MP.4 – Model with mathematics.
✏️ Build Background- Reinforce key science topics with real-life passages.
✏️Cross Curricular- Integrates nonfiction reading comprehension and science.
✏️Engaging – This resource will capture your students’ attention while they learn important science-related topics. Integrates text and activities to help students understand the topics and stay engaged in the material.
✏️Differentiated- Passages are on two levels to make differentiation easy.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
- How to Use This Resource
- Renewable and Non-renewable Energy (780L, 980L)
- Wind Energy (790L, 990L)
- Coal as Energy (770L, 980L)
- Petroleum Energy (790L, 980L)
- Hydropower (770L, 990L)
- Solar Power (760L, 970L)
*Answer Key Included
Each passage set includes two differentiated passages on a fourth-grade level (one at the beginning of the band, one towards the end) and a question set geared towards comprehension and science mastery. The first question is differentiated to include a fill-in-the-blank diagram (lower complexity) or an open-ended diagram (higher complexity).
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Internal & External Structures – 4-LS1-1 Science Differentiated Passages
Light and Vision – 4-PS4-2 – Science Differentiated Passages
Animal Senses – 4-LS1-2 – Science Differentiated Passages
There are no reviews yet.