Science Differentiated Passages: Weathering and Erosion – 4-ESS2-1
⭐️These science differentiated passages focus on making observations and/or measurements to provide evidence of the effects of weathering or the rate of erosion by water, ice, wind, or vegetation.
⭐️This unit is perfect for 4th grade. It was created to align with 4-ESS2-1 but can be used in any classroom to teach students about weathering and erosion.
⭐️Integrates key reading skills, with a focus on drawing conclusions and making inferences. Incorporates key vocabulary, text features, graphic organizers, and open-ended questions.
⭐️Other Standards To Address in Questions and Images:
- W.4.8 – Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print and digital sources; take notes and categorize information, and provide a list of sources.
- 4.MD.A.1 – Know relative sizes of measurement units within one system of units including km, m, cm; kg, g; lb, oz.; l, ml; hr, min, sec. Within a single system of measurement, express measurements in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit. Record measurement equivalents in a two column table.
- 4.MD.A.2 – Use the four operations to solve word problems involving distances, intervals of time, liquid volumes, masses of objects, and money, including problems involving simple fractions or decimals, and problems that require expressing measurements given in a larger unit in terms of a smaller unit. Represent measurement quantities using diagrams such as number line diagrams that feature a measurement scale.
- MP.2 – Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- MP.4 – Model with mathematics.
- MP.5 – Use appropriate tools strategically.
✏️ Build Background- Reinforce key science topics with real-life passages.
✏️Cross Curricular- Integrates nonfiction reading comprehension and science.
✏️Engaging – This resource will capture your students’ attention while they learn important science-related topics. Integrates text and activities to help students understand the topics and stay engaged in the material.
✏️Differentiated- Passages are on two levels to make differentiation easy.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
- How to Use This Resource
- Types of Weathering and Erosion (750L, 950L)
- Shrinking Glaciers (760L, 960L)
- Curving Rivers (770L, 970L)
- Root Wedging (760L, 970L)
- Shoreline Weathering (760L, 960L)
- Cappadocia, Turkey (750L, 960L)
*Answer Key Included
Each passage set includes two differentiated passages on a fourth-grade level (one at the beginning of the band, one towards the end) and a question set geared towards comprehension and science mastery. The first question is differentiated to include a fill-in-the-blank diagram (lower complexity) or an open-ended diagram (higher complexity).
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Internal & External Structures – 4-LS1-1 Science Differentiated Passages
Light and Vision – 4-PS4-2 – Science Differentiated Passages
Animal Senses – 4-LS1-2 – Science Differentiated Passages
There are no reviews yet.