⭐️Students of all reading levels can learn and practice comparing and contrasting two nonfiction texts with these 31 unique paired passages. Texts are Lexile® certified close reading comprehension passages and question sets that span CCSS Text Complexity Bands for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades.
⭐️Reading comprehension passages are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing context clues skills. Aligned to CCSS RI2.9 &RI3.9, RI4.9 & RI.5.9, students learn to compare passages (2nd & 3rd) and integrate information from multiple sources (4th & 5th) using text evidence.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for helping students learn context clues skills.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and four skills-focused test passages. Questions for passages focus on the specific standard for each grade range.
⭐️Broad differentiation makes this bundle perfect for:
- 2nd & 3rd grade classes with on, and above- level readers
- 4th & 5th grade classes with below and on-level readers
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 2nd grade/3rd grade and 4th grade/5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L and the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Casey D. said, “WOW! Great articles and love the accountability of going back into the text to find the answers! GREAT!”
★ Sarah W. said, “High interest passages at a variety of Lexile levels. I like that students are required to provide evidence for their answers. My 3rd graders really enjoyed working on these. I preferred to use them in small groups. Thank you!”
★ Crystal M. said, “This was an absolute lifesaver. My students and I both loved using it. We learned a lot of great information as we read. Thank you for a great resource.”
Resource 1: Comparing & Contrasting Nonfiction- 2nd Grade RI.2.9 & 3rd Grade RI.3.9
1. How Readers Compare and Contrast Journal page
2. Compare/ Contrast Graphic Organizer
3. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- What to Pack for a Camping Trip- 730L /Camping at Yellowstone National Park- 620L
- Alexandra Scott’s Mission- 780L /Alex’s Lemonade Stand- 670L
- Abraham Lincoln: 16th President- 790L/The Most Influential Presidents in U.S. History- 680L
- Walt Disney’s Career- 760L/Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Magic- 790L
- The Tropical Rainforest- 770L/Cats in the Tropical Rainforest- 560L
- African-American Civil Rights Movement- 810L / Segregation During the Civil Rights Movement- 820L
4. Test Passages & Question Set
- Fresh Food Is Fuel- 760L /Healthy Kids Are Happy Kids- 700L
Resource 2: Integrating Information 4th Grade RI.4.9 and 5th Grade RI.5.9
1. Integrate Information from Multiple Texts Anchor Chart & Journal Page
2. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Types of Reefs- 760L / The Great Barrier Reef- 770L / Reefs in Danger- 790L
- Blackbeard- 800L / Piracy- 910L / Modern Pirates- 930L
- Kanzi the Bonobo- 780L / Akeakamai and Phoenix the Dolphins- 860L / Koko the Gorilla- 880L
- A Feared Predator- 900L /A T. Rex Named Sue- 880L
- The Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle- 1020L /The Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Solved- 970L
- Frida Kahlo’s Life and Legacy- 980L /Frida Kahlo’s Art- 980L
3. Test Passages & Question Sets
- Stephen Hawking’s Life- 850L /Stephen Hawking: One of Science’s Greats- 930L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Included in this Bundle:
Compare & Contrast Informational Texts on the Same Topic – 2nd RI.2.9 3rd RI.3.9
Integrate Information from Multiple Texts 4th Grade RI.4.9 & 5th Grade RI.5.9
2nd Grade Reading Comprehension
3rd Grade Reading Comprehension
4th Grade Reading Comprehension
5th Grade Reading Comprehension
Bundle up and save!
2nd Grade Reading Comprehension MEGA Bundle
3rd Grade Reading Comprehension MEGA Bundle
4th Grade Reading Comprehension MEGA Bundle
5th Grade Reading Comprehension MEGA Bundle