Comprehend Nonfiction Differentiated Reading Comprehension Passages & Questions
⭐️Students of all reading levels can learn and practice comprehending nonfiction texts with these 24 unique nonfiction passages. Texts are Lexile® certified close reading comprehension passages and question sets that span CCSS Text Complexity Bands for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades.
⭐️Reading comprehension passages are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing reading comprehension skills. Aligned to CCSS RI2.10 &RI3.10, RI4.10 & RI.5.10, students learn to use text evidence to answer questions.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for helping students learn context clues skills.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and four skills-focused test passages. Questions for passages focus on the specific standard for each grade range.
⭐️Broad differentiation makes this bundle perfect for:
- 2nd & 3rd grade classes with on, and above- level readers
- 4th & 5th grade classes with below and on-level readers
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 2nd grade/3rd grade and 4th grade/5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for second and third grade is 420L-820L and the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple-choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Casey D. said, “WOW! Great articles and love the accountability of going back into the text to find the answers! GREAT!”
★ Sarah W. said, “High interest passages at a variety of Lexile levels. I like that students are required to provide evidence for their answers. My 3rd graders really enjoyed working on these. I preferred to use them in small groups. Thank you!”
★ Crystal M. said, “This was an absolute lifesaver. My students and I both loved using it. We learned a lot of great information as we read. Thank you for a great resource.”
Resource 1: Comprehending Informational & Nonfiction Text – 2nd & 3rd Grade RI.2.10 RI.3.10
1. Reading Comprehension Journal Page & Anchor Chart
2. Nonfiction Reading Comprehension Practice Passages & Question Sets
- The Effects of the Sun- 480L
- How to Make Tacos- 490L
- Lions and Tigers! Oh My!- 520L
- Dear Mr. Saunders- 530L
- Henry “Box” Brown- 560L
- The Spectacular Seahorse- 680L
- Hershey’s Chocolate- 740L
- Malala Yousafzai- 700L
- Pluto the Plutoid- 710L
- Roswell Mystery- 820
3. Nonfiction Reading Comprehension Test Passages & Question Sets
- Laura Ingalls Wilder- 680L
- Christmas in Mexico- 770L
Resource 2: Comprehend Scientific, Historical, & Technical Text RI.4.10 RI.5.10
- Scientific Texts Anchor Chart & Journal Page
- The Solar System- 790L
- Water All Around- 820L
- Black Widow Spiders- 880L
- Newton’s Laws of Motion- 970L
- Historical Texts Anchor Chart & Journal Page
- Harriet Tubman- 790L
- The Roswell Mystery- 820L
- The Great Wall of China- 940L
- The Salem Witch Trials- 940L
- Technical Texts Anchor Chart & Journal Page
- How to Plant a Seed- 850L
- What Happens When We Burp?- 830L
- Which Way Does the Wind Blow?- 930L
- Radio-Controlled Toys- 980L
- Thunder and Lightning- 790L
- Laura Ingalls Wilder- 810L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.