Compare & Contrast Genres – 6th Grade RL.6.9
⭐️These 12 digital & printable Lexile® leveled stories are perfect for teaching, developing, or practicing 6th grade comparing & contrasting genres in literature skills for RL.6.9. Google slides version is perfect for Google Classroom integration and distance learning. Students learn to compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres (e.g., stories and poems; historical novels and fantasy stories) in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching students comparing and contrasting skills.
⭐️Includes standard-based questions, anchor charts, and two skills-focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the sixth grade text complexity band.
⭐️This printable and digital resource is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides.
*This digital version saves paper and is perfect for distance learning, but still requires teachers to correct student responses.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 6th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for sixth through eighth grade is 925L to 1185L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – The color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard-based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard-based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains a variety of excerpts, adaptations, and original passages with custom illustrations. This resource is designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
1. Genres in Literature Journal Page / Anchor Chart
2. Identifying Theme and Topic Journal Page/Anchor Chart
3. Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Set 1: Excerpt from The Prince and the Pauper (960L) & The Highest Class (930L)
- Set 2: Elf Shot (Poem) & Lady Agatha’s Locket (1070L)
- Set 3: Excerpt from Kidnapped! (1010L) & The Abduction of Persephone (1150L)
- Set 4: We Have Been Friends Together (Poem) & Retelling of The Bear and the Two Travelers (950L)
- Set 5: Excerpt from The Outlaw (Play) & Roundup on the Ranch (950L)
- Set 6: Excerpt from The War of the Worlds (1130L) & Small-Town Shortage (1060L)
- Set 7: The Man on the Kerb (Play) & Old Man Henderson (950L)
3. Test Passages & Question Sets
- Excerpt from Black Beauty (980L) & Excerpt from The Auguries of Innocence (Poem)
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Similar units are available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade: