Build a Zoo Project Based Learning – 1st Grade Math PBL
⭐ Build a Zoo is a project-based learning task that involves using 1st grade math standards to solve problems related to building and maintaining a zoo. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on building a zoo by choosing the animals for their zoo, creating a blueprint, calculating length and width, interpreting data, and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to building a zoo.
- 1.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
- 1.OA.A.2 Solve word problems that call for the addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20.
- 1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10.
- 1.NBT.B.3 Compare two two-digit numbers based on meanings of the tens and ones digits with the symbols >, =, and <.
- 1.NBT.C.4 Add within 100, including adding a two-digit number and a one-digit number and adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10.
- 1.NBT.C.5 Given a two-digit number, mentally find 10 more or 10 less than the number.
- 1.MD.A.1 Order three objects by length.
- 1.MD.A.2 Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to build their own zoo to practice 1st grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Choosing Your Animals
- Building the Exhibits (Measurement)
- Animal Habitats (Money, Addition)
- Feeding Time (Word Problems with Addition and Subtraction)
- Zoo Brochure
- Zoo Attendance (Word Problems with Addition and Subtraction, Representing and Interpreting Data)
- Challenge #1: Reptile House (Composite Shapes, Place Value)
- Challenge #2: Snack Stand (Money, Word Problems with Addition and Subtraction)
- Answer Key
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 2nd Grade version!
There are no reviews yet.