⭐ This 5th grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience and themed perfectly for Halloween! Students complete challenges to help the conductor attend to the passengers. To complete these challenges students work through four math problem sets where they practice multiplying and dividing fractions. Students add their answers to the Haunted Train Trip Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. This resource is highly engaging and a low prep activity with printable and digital formats both included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Haunted Train Trip Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Haunted Train Trip Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing multiplying and dividing fractions skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Horror-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of multiplying and dividing fractions.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
5th Grade Multiplying & Dividing Fractions “Haunted Train” Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Challenge #1: Solve the fractions as division problems to earn the steamer trunk from the ghost.
- Challenge #2: Solve the fraction multiplication problems to earn the hatbox from the witch.
- Challenge #3: Solve the fraction division problems to earn the suitcases from the skeletons.
- Challenge #4: Solve the fraction word problems to earn the key to the werewolf crate.
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link