Place Value – 5th Grade Math Video Game Escape Room
⭐ In this 5th grade math place value and decimals escape room, your students will practice place value patterns, exponents, and use decimals to the thousandths including rounding. This activity aligns to CCSS 5.NBT.A.1, 5.NBT.A.2, 5.NBT.A.3, and 5.NBT.A.4
⭐ Custom videos along the way tell the story themed around video games, making this a truly immersive experience! Students will compete in the VR Game Builder Academy to teach students how to build a game that could be the next big hit. To complete these challenges students work through four math problem sets where they:
- Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left. (5.NBT.A.1)
- Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole-number exponents to denote powers of 10. (5.NBT.A.2)
- Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths. (5.NBT.A.3)
- Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place. (5.NBT.A.4)
⭐ This math escape room comes in the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Video Game Decoder Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Video Game Decoder Tool and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a video game themed back story come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing place value.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Video Game-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on key mathematics skills relating to place value.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
5th Grade Place Value “Video Game” Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Challenge #1: Solve place value problems to add geometry. – Value of digits up to a million and exponents
- Challenge #2: Solve the place value problems to add health. – Decimals in standard form, number, and expanded form, comparing and ordering decimals
- Challenge #3: Solve the word problems to add powerups.- Comparing and ordering decimals
- Challenge #4: Solve the word problems to add multiplayer. – Rounding decimals
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th grade version but with problems and skills at a 5th grade level.