5th Grade Math PBL – Soccer Project Based Learning
⭐ 5th grade math soccer tournament is a project based learning unit based all around hosting a soccer tournament based on Numbers in Base Ten, and Measurement and Data. This 5th grade resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to work within a budget, calculate income from registrations, subtract expenses, review soccer practice statistics, create a line plot, and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to hosting a soccer tournament.
- 5.NBT.A.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
- 5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
- 5.NBT.B.6 Find whole-number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or relationship between multiplication and division.
- 5.NBT.B.7 Perform all operations with decimals to hundredths, using concrete models, drawings, and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between add./sub., relate to a written method, and explain reasoning.
- 5.MD.A.1 Convert among different sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system. Use in solving multi-step real world problems.
- 5.MD.B.2 Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit. Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions by using information presented in line plots.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to host a soccer tournament.
✏️ Differentiation – Two challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
1. Teacher & Student Directions
2. Welcome to the All-Star Soccer Tournament
3. Budgeting (collecting registration fees, paying expenses, and keeping running totals/subtotals)
4. Volunteers (plan schedules, word problems)
5. Soccer Practice (calculating and using data, making a line plot)
6. Town Map (word problems, elapsed time, calculating directions and distance)
7. Saturday & Sunday Tournament Schedule (word problems, time, elapsed time)
8. Challenge 1: Concession Stand (word problems, money)
9. Challenge 2: Concession Stand (word problems, money)
10. Self Evaluation & Rubric
11. Answer Key
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 3rd Grade version!