Text Features: Mission in Space Escape Room for 2nd & 3rd Grade
✨ This 2nd and 3rd grade text features reading comprehension escape room in printable worksheets, Google Slides, and interactive Webscape™️ formats will transform your students into space explorers as they practice nonfiction text features skills.
⚿ Get your astronaut gear ready! Your students will embark on an epic adventure through the Kuiper Asteroid Belt, escape a dangerous black hole, land on the mysterious Proxima B planet, and make a triumphant return to planet Earth- all while practicing reading comprehension skills!
✪ This reading escape room is the ultimate immersive experience. Students will be catapulted into a thrilling space mission, where they’ll need to complete four unique challenges that require them to use essential standards-based text feature skills.
⚿ As they overcome each obstacle, students will unlock clues in the Secret Alien Decoder Tool, which will help them unveil the mystery and unlock the secret codes. But that’s not all: each challenge earns them critical items for their mission- items that they’ll need to navigate the mission and earn their space exploration certificate.
Join us on this enchanting journey and watch as your students become text feature explorers!
⭐ This nonfiction text features reading comprehension escape room includes the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Magic Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students complete the escape room using printable worksheets. Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Alien Decoder and a special recording sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a space mission backstory come together to engage students while developing and enforcing text feature skills.
The Webscape and Google Slides versions are self-grading; however, please note that these versions are created to require critical thinking. Students are NOT told which answers are incorrect to prevent guessing and encourage students to think critically about the clues and their responses.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Mission in Space Escape Room – 2nd & 3rd Grade
- Print and Digital Directions
- Official Mission Transcript
- Challenge #1: Use text features to pass through the Kuiper Asteroid Belt
- Challenge #2: Use text features to escape the black hole
- Challenge #3: Use text features to gain more information from the text to land safely on Proxima B
- Challenge #4: Multi-paragraph article text feature practice to make your return to planet Earth
- Space Exploration Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser-Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th and 5th grade version, but with passages on a 2nd and 3rd grade level.