Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 1st Grade
Get ready for a sweet and exciting math PBL adventure with our 1st grade Ice Cream Truck Project-Based Learning! This print-and-go PBL is designed to engage and challenge first graders. Students will use their math skills to run their very own ice cream truck business.
You have been hired to run an ice cream truck! It is your job to stock the ice cream truck with tasty treats, keep track of the money you earned, and serve delicious ice cream to the community in a timely manner!
- Use addition to determine how much ice cream they need to stock up on
- Use time to create a schedule for their truck stops
- Solve simple money word problems to fulfill customer orders
- Use pictographs and bar graphs to answer questions about schedules
- Measure the heights of their delicious ice cream treats
- Use addition with money to determine the costs of sundaes
With this activity, students will develop essential math skills like addition, subtraction, time, money, measurement, and graphing, all while having fun and satisfying their sweet tooth.
Whether you’re a teacher looking for an engaging math activity for your classroom or a parent looking for a fun way to support your child’s math learning at home, our Ice Cream Truck Project-Based Learning resource will have your students solving realistic math problems in an engaging way.
⭐Students evaluate their work with a self-evaluation rubric and response.
⭐ Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck.
- 1.OA.A.2 Solve word problems that call for the addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20.
- 1.OA.B.4 Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem.
- 1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10.
- 1.NBT.B.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
- 1.NBT.C.4 Add within 100, including adding a two-digit number and a one-digit number and adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10.
- 1.NBT.C.6 Subtract multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 from multiples of 10 in the range 10-90.
- 1.MD.A.2 Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units, by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end.
- 1.MD.B.3 Tell and write time in hours and half-hours using analog and digital clocks.
✏️ Low Prep – Print-and-go format makes this resource quick to prep. and use. You do not need to spend money on extra supplies or hours of time prepping for this PBL!
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to run their own ice cream truck to practice 1st grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
This spring-themed project based learning math activity contains the following:
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Ice Cream Supply (Addition & Subtraction)
- Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule (Time)
- Counting Money (Word Problems, Place Value)
- Hungry Customers (Interpreting & Representing Data)
- Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors (Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Toppings Galore (Word Problems)
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Try the 2nd Grade version of this spring math PBL!