Ice Cream Truck Mania: Math Project Based Learning – 1st Grade
⭐ Ice Cream Truck Mania is a project-based learning task that involves using 1st grade math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on running an ice cream truck, keep track of the money they earned, and serve delicious ice cream to the community in a timely manner. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task that involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to running an ice cream truck.
- 1.OA.A.2 Solve word problems that call for addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20.
- 1.OA.B.4 Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem.
- 1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10.
- 1.NBT.B.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
- 1.NBT.C.4 Add within 100, including adding a two-digit number and a one-digit number and adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10.
- 1.NBT.C.6 Subtract multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 from multiples of 10 in the range 10-90.
- 1.MD.A.2 Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units, by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end.
- 1.MD.B.3 Tell and write time in hours and half-hours using analog and digital clocks.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to run their own ice cream truck to practice 1st grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Ice Cream Supply (Addition & Subtraction)
- Ice Cream Truck Stop Schedule (Time)
- Counting Money (Word Problems, Place Value)
- Hungry Customers (Interpreting & Representing Data)
- Challenge #1: Ice Cream Sizes (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Ice Cream Flavors (Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Toppings Galore (Word Problems)
- Answer Key
Take a closer look at what this escape room looks like in this video preview.
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 2nd Grade version!