2nd Grade Math PBL – Measurement & Geometry Project Based Learning
⭐ Measure Twice, Cut Once is a project based learning task that involves using Measurement and Geometry to solve problems related to quilt making. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on quilt making while measuring lengths, naming shapes, counting and drawing lines, interpreting data, and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to quilt making.
- 2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools.
- 2.MD.A.2 Measure the length of an object twice, using length units of different lengths for the measurements; describing how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen.
- 2.MD.A.3 Estimate lengths.
- 2.MD.A.4 Measure to determine how much longer one object is than another, expressed in terms of a standard unit.
- 2.MD.B.5 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve word problems.
- 2.MD.B.6 Represent whole numbers as lengths from 0 on a number line diagram.
- 2.MD.D.9 Generate measurement data by measuring the lengths of objects. Show measurements by making a line plot.
- 2.MD.D.10 Draw picture graphs/bar graphs to represent data.
- 2.GA.1 Recognize/draw shapes with specific attributes. Identify triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, hexagons, cubes.
- 2.GA.2 Partition a rectangle into rows and columns of same-sized squares.
- 2.GA.3 Partition circles/rectangles into 2, 3, and 4 equal shares, describe shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc. Recognize that equal shares do not need to have the same shape.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired as quilt makers to solve measurement and geometry problems related to quilt making.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.
- Teacher & Student Directions
- “What Is Quilt Making?” Information Card
- Getting Started (Estimating & Measuring Length)
- Preparing to Cut (Halves of Shapes)
- Classifying Shapes (Naming and Soring by Attributes)
- Patterns (Repeating and Growing)
- Symmetry (Counting and Drawing Lines)
- Measuring and Cutting (Inches)
- Arrays (Drawing)
- Cutting Triangles (Planning, Measuring, Marking, and Cutting)
- Making Patterns (Arranging Triangles Into Squares)
- Shape Riddles (Reading Clues)
- Challenge 1: Data on a Bar Graph
- Challenge 2: Creating a Line Plot
- Evaluation & Rubric
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.