Pizza Fractions Project Based Learning – 3rd Grade
⭐ Pizza Fractions is a project based learning unit for 3rd grade based all around preparing and serving pizzas based on appropriate situational fractions. This 3rd grade resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to identify equal pizza slices, partition pizzas into fractions, add toppings to pizzas to make fractions, and answer various story problems about fractions and their pizzas. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS Geometry math standards to solve problems related to pizza preparation.
- 3.OA.A.1 Interpret products of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.2 Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers.
- 3.OA.A.3 Use mult/div within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
- 3.OA.B.6 Understand division as an unknown-factor problem.
- 3.NBT.A.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently adds and subtracts within 1000.
- 3.NF.A.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts.
- 3.NF.A.2 Understand a fraction as a number on the number line; represent fractions on a number line diagram.
- 3.NF.A.3.B Recognize and generate simple equivalent fractions.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minute and measure time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and a scaled bar graph to represent a data set. Solve two-step problems using information presented in scaled bar graphs.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired as pizza makers to study circular and rectangular pie fractions. Their job is to create and serve pizzas with their toppings in the proper proportions!
✏️ Differentiation – Two challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
1. For the Teacher, Standards, and Directions
2. For the Student, Welcome to Pizza, Pizza, Tasks
3. Pizza Fractions (creating, ordering, equivalent fractions with word problems)
4. Cooking Pizza (telling time word problems)
5. Selling Pizza (money word problems)
6. Be a Pizza Maker (follow directions to make your own pizza with follow-up questions)
7. Make the Cut (cutting pizza word problems)
8. Pizza Data (make a bar graph, interpret data)
9. Challenge 1 (determine pizza costs and profit)
10. Challenge 2 (complete a table using pizza data, word problems based on making a profit)
11. Challenge 3 (create a poster for advertising spring specials)
12. Self-evaluation Reflection and Rubric
13. Answer Key
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 2nd Grade version!