⭐️These 22 printable and digital Lexile® certified passages are paired in 11 sets. Perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing RI4.6 4th-grade compare and contrast accounts skills. Students learn how to compare and contrast firsthand and secondhand accounts. If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching comparing and contrasting skills in your fourth-grade class.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and two 4th-grade compare and contrast accounts skills focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the fourth grade and fifth grade bands and aligned to Common Core standards.
⭐️The printable PDF and digital versions are both included with this product for classroom and distance learning needs. The digital version is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides and can be downloaded from Google Slides into PowerPoint.
✏️Lexile Levels – All 22 passages include a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 4th grade & 5th grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range for fourth and fifth grade is 740L-1010L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – The color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Coryana P. said, “These are awesome. Thank you for your hard work! The passages are perfect.”
★ Cosmic Surprise in Teaching said, “Interesting stories. Loved the different levels this packet had available.”
★ Teresa M. said, “My 4th graders were very engaged & enjoyed the topics. I loved the rigorous texts – great for expanding vocabulary and teaching students to use context clues.”
1. Compare and Contrast Anchor Chart & Journal Page
2. Paired Practice Passages & Question Sets
- Ann Eggley’s Testimony About Coal Mining- 620L/Coal Mining Children- 790L
- Sojourner Truth on Women’s Rights- 790L / Sojourner Truth- 860L
- It Is the 6th of September - 610L /The Vilna Ghetto- 770L
- Mary Jemison: Life of a Captive- 870L /Excerpt from A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Mary Jemison- 990L
- Excerpt from The Story of a Sweatshop Girl: Sadie Frowne- 880L/Journey to America- 870L
- Excerpt from Queen Victoria’s Diary- 900L /Queen Victoria- 820L
- The Buffalo Bulletin- 850L /The Life of the Lawless: Butch Cassidy- 900L
- The Dire Calamity and the Greater San Francisco- 870L /Fair Oaks, California May 15, 1906- 930L
- The New York Times Titanic Article- 860L /The Evening Bulletin Titanic Article- 770L
- Flight is a Success- 930L /Thursday, December 17- 970L
3. Test Passages & Question Sets
- Excerpt from The Story of My Life- 970L
- The Life of Helen Keller- 850L
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Similar resources are available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th grade: