⭐️These 14 printable and digital Lexile® leveled reading comprehension passages and question sets aligned to RI.1.9 are perfect for teaching, developing, or reinforcing 1st grade compare & contrast skills. Google slides version is perfect for Google Classroom integration and distance learning. First grade students learn to identify basic similarities in and differences between two texts on the same topic (e.g., in illustrations, descriptions, or procedures). Passages are grouped in pairs to create seven different exercises.
⭐️If you do not use Common Core, this packet is still perfect for teaching 1st grade compare & contrast skills. Aligns with state-specific standards like TEKS and VA SOL.
⭐️Includes standard based questions, anchor charts, and two RI.1.9 compare & contrast skills focused test passages. Certified Lexile measured close reading comprehension texts are varied within the first grade band.
⭐️The printable PDF and digital versions are both included with this product for classroom and distance learning needs. The digital version is compatible with Google Drive and Google Slides, and can be downloaded from Google Slides into PowerPoint.
✏️Lexile Levels – Each passage contains a certified Lexile measure to make differentiation easy. Passages vary across the 1st grade Common Core Text Complexity Band (the range first grade is 190L-530L).
✏️Integrated Color Coding – Color coding strategy encourages students to learn how to find and use text evidence in their answers.
✏️Comprehensive – Passages are perfect for comprehensive standard based test prep. Included anchor charts and questions make this resource great for lesson modeling. Works perfectly for small groups and guided reading.
✏️Scaffolding – Utilizes the Lexile Framework® for Reading and a mix of standard based essay and multiple choice questions to allow educators to scaffold independent work and homework. Also great for centers and interventions.
✏️Highly Engaging – Contains original passages with high-quality photographs designed to engage students of all levels and interests.
★ Kelly T. said, “This was extremely helpful when planning our unit on compare/contrast.”
★ Hannah H. said, “I have had a hard time finding compare and contrast worksheets and these were absolutely perfect!!!!”
★ Carol S. said, “My students loved this activity and I loved it too. It was a nice change from our guided reading books and it provided me with the ability to differentiate by interests and difficulty level. Great.”
1. How Readers Compare and Contrast Journal page (Can be used for anchor chart.)
2. Compare/Contrast Graphic Organizer
3. Sets of Compare and Contrast Practice Passages and Question Sets
- What to Pack for a Camping Trip / Camping at Yellowstone National Park (320L)
- The Rainforest (290L) / Cats in the Rainforest (350L)
- Abraham Lincoln: 16th President (320L) / Important Presidents (380L)
- Walt Disney’s Career (410L)/ Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Magic (380L)
- Alexandria Scott’s Mission (440L) / Alex’s Lemonade Stand (430L)
- Civil Rights Movement Heroes (460L) / The Civil Rights Movement (470L)
3. Set of Compare and Contrast Test Passages and Question Set
- Test: Food is Fuel (340L) / Healthy Kids are Happy Kids (390L)
See more about why certified Lexile measures matter by clicking on the product preview and navigating to the About Lexile Levels page.
Similar units are available for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade: