Add & Subtract to 100 – 2nd Grade Math “Atlantis” Escape Room
⭐ This 2nd grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience and themed perfect for your class! Students complete challenges to escape Atlantis. To complete these challenges, students work through four math problem sets where they practice to fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction. Students add their answers to the Atlantis Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. This resource is highly engaging and a low prep activity with printable and digital formats both included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Atlantis Decoder Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Atlantis Decoder Tool and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and an Atlantis storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing addition and subtraction to 100 skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Atlantis-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of addition and subtraction within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
- Print and Digital Directions
- Challenge #1: Add and subtract to survive the volcano.
- Challenge #2: Add and subtract to survive the comets.
- Challenge #3: Find the mistake to survive the sea monsters.
- Challenge #4: Solve the word problems to survive the tidal wave and escape Atlantis
- Atlantis Escape Room Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link
Take a closer look at what this escape room learning looks like in this video preview.