Multi-Digit Multiplication – Monster Lab Escape Room – 5th Grade
⭐ In this 5th grade multiplication fluency escape room, your fifth graders will practice multiplying with standard algorithm practice questions. This activity aligns to CCSS 5.NBT.B.5
⭐ Custom videos along the way tell the story, making this a truly immersive experience! Students complete challenges to conducting various experiments to evaluate and build a perfect team of monsters. To complete these four challenges: cuteness experiment, durability experiment, fear experiment, and appetite experiment, students work through four unique problem sets where they practice fluently multiplying multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm. Questions are scaffolded, progressing from multiplication, finding the mistake, and solving word problems. Students add their answers to the Monster Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. This resource is a great engaging and low-prep activity with printable and digital versions included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Monster Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Monster Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a Monster Science Lab storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing mathematics skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Monster Lab-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of multiplication, finding the mistake, and word problems. Aligned to 5.NBT.B.5.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
5th Grade Multiplication & Division – Monster Science Escape Room
- Print and Digital Directions
- Monster Lab Letter from the Mad Scientist
- Challenge #1: Solve the multiplication problems to perform the Cuteness Experiment.
- Challenge #2: Solve the multiplication problems to perform the Durability Experiment.
- Challenge #3: Solve the “find the mistake” problems to perform the Fear Experiment.
- Challenge #4: Solve the word problems to perform the Appetite Experiment.
- Escape the Science Lab Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 4th grade version but with problems and skills at a 5th grade level.