Place Value Dragon Escape Room – 2nd Grade
⭐ This 2nd grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience and themed perfectly for a class of students who believe in mythical beasts! Students complete challenges to meet the wizard, goblin, and fairy to discover the path to the dragon and stop the rider sent to find him. To complete these challenges and help save the dragon from the rider, students work through four math problem sets where they practice finding values, matching values, and solving place value problems. Students add their answers to the Dragon Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. This resource is a great engaging and low prep activity with printable and digital versions included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Dragon Decoder Tool is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Dragon Decoder Tool and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a safe the dragon storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing bar and picture graph skills.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dragon-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of finding values, matching values, and solving place value problems.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
- Print and Digital Directions
- Letter from the Dragon
- Challenge #1: Solve the “find the value” problems to find the wizard.
- Challenge #2: Solve the “find the value” problems to find the goblin.
- Challenge #3: Solve the “match the value” problems find the fairy.
- Challenge #4: Solve the place value problems to find the rider.
- Find the Dragon Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link