Text Features: Mission in Space Escape Room for 4th & 5th Grade
⭐ This 4th and 5th grade text features reading escape room is a truly immersive experience. Students navigate their way through a mission in space by passing through the Kuiper Asteroid Belt, escaping a black hole, landing safely on Proxima B, and making a return to planet Earth. In this escape room, students complete four unique challenges. Each challenge requires students to use standards-based text feature skills. Students add their answers to the Secret Alien Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. Students earn items used to navigate the mission and earn their official space exploration certificate.
⭐ This text features focused reading comprehension escape room that includes the following digital and printable formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Magic Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Magic Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a space mission storyline come together to engage students while developing and enforcing text feature skills.
*Please note: The Google Slides format includes embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. The printable version includes QR codes for these videos. If you plan on using the Google or printable formats, please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube. The Webscape version does not require YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital versions can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each reading comprehension question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Dynamic challenges and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each reading passage and question set was chosen and written to focus on key skills to review important reading comprehension skills.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: The Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
Text Features “Mission in Space” Escape Room – 4th & 5th Grade
- Print and Digital Directions
- Official Mission Transcript
- Challenge #1: Use text features to pass through the Kuiper Asteroid Belt
- Challenge #2: Use text features to escape the black hole
- Challenge #3: Use text features to gain more information from the text to land safely on Proxima B
- Challenge #4: Multi-paragraph article text feature practice to make your return to planet Earth
- Space Exploration Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Webscape Link for Interactive Browser Based Experience
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
Take a closer look at what this resource looks like in this video preview.
Please Note: This escape room is similar to the 2nd and 3rd grade version, but with passages on a 4th and 5th grade level.
Comprehension Review Escape Room – 4th & 5th
Main Idea Wizarding Escape Room – 4th & 5th
There are no reviews yet.