2 Step Word Problems Garden Gnome Math Escape Room & Webscape™ – 3rd Grade
⭐ This 3rd grade math escape room is a truly immersive experience! Students complete challenges to help the gnomes save their old house from the big people who are threatening to tear it down. To complete these challenges and help the gnomes, students work through four math problem sets where they practice solving two-step word problems using the four operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Represent these problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity. Assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding. Students add their answers to the Decoder Tool to help them unlock the secret codes and complete each challenge. This resource is a great engaging and low prep activity with printable and digital versions are included!
⭐ This math escape room comes in digital and print formats.
- Webscape™ Format – This web-based format provides the most interactive and immersive experience possible. It is self directed, self correcting, and contains audio. You can check out my video overview here. You won’t believe how engaging this format is until you try it!
- Google Format – Students complete the exercises in Google Slides. The Gnome Decoder is a Google Sheet that self-corrects and tells each student when they can continue to the next challenge.
- Printable Format – Students can use any device to scan QR codes to watch the videos. If no device is available, students can skip the videos and still enjoy the exercise. Students use a printable Gnome Decoder and answer sheet to decipher the clues and track their answers.
⭐ Integrated videos, thematic items, and a safe the dragon storyline come together to engage students while developing, enforcing, and reviewing two-step word problems with four operations.
*Please note: This does include embedded videos that are hosted via YouTube. Please ensure you and your students have access to YouTube.
✏️ Digital & Printable Versions – Webscape, Google, and print versions make this resource perfect for any classroom. The digital version can be used dynamically in the classroom as a presentation while students complete each mathematical question in groups or individually.
✏️ Immersive Experience: Garden Gnome-themed, dynamic challenges, and engaging videos provide positive reinforcement and keep students engaged and focused.
✏️Skill Focused: Each question set was written to focus on the key mathematics skills of finding values, matching values, and solving two-step word problems.
✏️Scaffolded Challenges: Challenges increase in difficulty as students progress through the escape room.
✏️No Prep/ Low Prep: Digital version requires NO PREP. The printable version is low prep: Just print the pages, place them in folders, and go. The printable version has the option to incorporate technology and videos through QR codes.
- Print and Digital Directions
- Letter from the Garden Gnomes
- Challenge #1: Estimate word problems to clear the lawn.
- Challenge #2: Solve word problems to fix the house.
- Challenge #3: Solve word problems to get plants and animals.
- Challenge #4: Represent word problems with equations to decorate the lawn.
- Garden Gnome Certificate
- Ooops Cards
- Recording Brochure
- Answer Key
Digital Version Links
- Google Slides Link for Digital Escape Room
- Google Forms Link for Decoding Tool
- Webscape Link
Math Escape Room Growing Bundle – 3rd Grade
Relate Multiplication & Division 3rd Grade Dragon Escape Room
Volume & Mass 3rd Grade Math Sports Escape Room
Measure & Calculate Area 3rd Grade Math Video Game Escape Room
Measurement Line Plots Haunted Train Escape Room – 3rd Grade Math
Multiplication & Division – 3rd Grade Math “Mermaid” Escape Room
Whole Number Products – 3rd Grade Math “Atlantis” Escape Room
3rd Grade Math Review – School Escape Room
Partitions and Fractions Geometry 3rd Grade Math Escape Room
Categorize Shapes Geometry Escape Room – 3rd Grade
Time Machine Math Time Problems Escape Room – 3rd Grade
Sherlock Holmes Math Word Problem Escape Room – 3rd Grade
Lucky’s Map Math Escape Room – 3rd Grade
There are no reviews yet.