Build a Zoo Project Based Learning – 2nd Grade Math PBL
⭐ Build a Zoo is a project-based learning task that involves using 2nd grade math standards to solve problems related to building and maintaining a zoo. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest in the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions on building a zoo by choosing the animals for their zoo, creating a blueprint, calculating length and width, interpreting data, and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ This project-based learning task involves using the following CCSS math standards to solve problems related to building a zoo.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one- and two-step word problems.
- 2.NBT.A.2 Count within 1000; skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s.
- 2.NBT.A.3 Read and write numbers up to 1000 using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded forms.
- 2.NBT.A.4 Compare two three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons.
- 2.NBT.B.5 Fluently add and subtract within 100.
- 2.NBT.B.6 Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
- 2.NBT.B.7 Add and subtract within 1000, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.
- 2.MD.D.10 Draw a picture graph and a bar graph (with a single-unit scale) to represent a data set with up to four categories.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are tasked to build their own zoo to practice 2nd grade math standards problems.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high-performing students while making the resource accessible to your on-level and below-level students.
- Teacher Directions & Standards Addressed
- Student Directions
- Choosing Your Animals
- Building the Exhibits (Measurement)
- Animal Habitats (Money, Addition)
- Feeding Time (Word Problems with Addition and Subtraction)
- Zoo Brochure
- Zoo Attendance (Word Problems with Addition and Subtraction, Representing and Interpreting Data)
- Challenge #1: Reptile House (Measurement)
- Challenge #2: Snack Stand (Money, Word Problems)
- Challenge #3: Primate Classes (Time)
- Self-Reflection and Evaluation
- Answer Key
Looking for more differentiation? Check out the 4th Grade version!
Other Related Product(s):