3rd Grade Math Project Based Learning Bundle #1
⭐ This bundle includes three 3rd grade math Project Based Learning activities that are standards-based. Each unit is available as a printable PDF and in Google Slides.
⭐Build a Zoo is a project based learning unit based all around building and maintaining a zoo. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the perfect activity to increase engagement and interest for the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to choose animals, build exhibits (area & perimeter), design animal habitats (research, science, money), organize feeding times (research, science, multiplication, repeated addition, and subtraction), develop a zoo brochure (writing), and monitor zoo attendance (money word problems). Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
⭐ Cupcake’s Galore is a project based learning unit based all around preparing cupcakes for a bake sale to raise money for new playground equipment. This resource contains a standards-based unit in both printable PDF and Google Slides versions – so it’s the activity to increase engagement and interest for the classroom or distance learning. Students follow instructions to plan and bake various cupcake recipes using the ingredients they have. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the following fractions, addition, subtraction, and multiplication following these standards:
- 3.OA.A.3 Use mult/div within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays and measurement quantities.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve 2-step word problems using all 4 operations.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently add/sub within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties and relationships.
- 3.NBT.A.3 Multiply 1-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10.
- 3.NF.A.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts, understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by parts of size 1/b.
- 3.NF.A.2 Understand a fraction as a number on the number line; represent fractions on a number line diagram.
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain equivalence of fractions in special cases; and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- 3.MD.A.1 Tell and write time to the nearest minutes and measure time intervals in minutes. Solve word problems involving add/sub of time intervals in minutes.
- 3.MD.A.2 Measure and estimate liquid volumes and masses of objects using standard units of measurement. Add/sub/multiply or divide to solve one step word problems.
⭐ Measure Twice, Cut Once is a project based learning task that involves using Measurement and Geometry to solve problems related to quilt making. Students follow instructions on quilt making while measuring lengths, reading clues, counting and drawing lines, ordering fraction and more. Additional “challenge activities” engage students and develop further understanding of the concepts and skills.
- 3.OA.D.8 Solve problems using the four operations.
- 3.NBT.A.2 Fluently adds and subtracts within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 3.NF.A.2 Understand and represent a fraction as a number on the number line.
- 3.NF.A.3 Explain the equivalence of fractions in special cases and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- 3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled picture graph and scaled bar graph to represent a data set with several categories. Solve 1 and 2 step problems using information presented in scaled bar graphs.
- 3.MD.B.4 Generate measurement data by measuring lengths using rulers marked with halves and fourths of an inch. Show the data by making a line plot.
- 3.MD.C.5 Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures.
- 3.MD.C.6 Measure areas by counting unit squares.
- 3MD.C.7 Relate area to the operations of multiplication and addition.
- 3.MD.D.8 Solve real world problems involving perimeters of polygons.
- 3.G.A.1 Understand that shapes in different categories may share attributes.
- 3.G.A.2 Partition shapes into parts with equal areas. Express the area of each part as a unit fraction of the whole.
✏️ Printable & Digital Format – Printable PDF & Google Slides formats make this resource perfect for classroom instruction, distance learning, and everywhere in between. Digital and printable versions are consistent, so they can be used for combination classroom and virtual instruction situations.
✏️ Educational & Engaging – This resource will capture the imagination of your students while they practice key math skills. Students are hired as quilt makers to solve measurement and geometry problems related to quilt making.
✏️ Differentiation – Three challenge activities mean that you can challenge your high performing students while making the resource accessible to your on level and below level students.